Wednesday, September 17, 2008

No Regret and Complete Resolution

These days we are surrounded by movies and quotes and songs that are geared to inspire and motivate. This topic has been on my mind recently, which has caused two questions to constantly circle around: "What do I WANT to do with my life, what do I NEED to do with it."

Why am I thinking for this now? Because I keep putting doing what I want to do, and being who I want to be because I am afraid. At the same time I want to live, but not live in a way where my very existence is waking up, going to work, eating and then sleeping. I want to live. I want to enjoy today and look forward to tomorrow. A new television commercial advertising for the show Saving Grace has Holly Hunter stating this, " I want to bust the world wide open....I want to taste the tastes and fix the problems. I want to run head long into... darkness and pranks and fun and laugh, laugh, laugh. I want to be the best friend... I want to be the mystery in the room and I want to be known..."
What a powerful statement. What she says strikes me every time I hear it because she is a person determined to throw herself into life and into love- regardless of the bruises she is bound to receive.

So in all my thinking I have determined that there are two things I must choose to do to live:
#1- I must have no regrets
#2- and must, inwardly, have complete resolution

#1- I must have no regrets.

I must speak up and say those things are the hardest. I must choose to put my heart on the line, I must risk it all to say the words that need to be spoken.
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence." - Will Henry

I must do what I am afraid to do, but am longing for.
"As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do." - Zachary Scott

I must love the people that I love, regardless of response, regardless of how they feel back- my friends, my family, those that I don't yet...
"Looking back, I have this regret, that too often when I loved, I did not say so." - David Gayson

I must be determined to do everything on purpose.
"Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is." - Mary Anne Radmacher

I must run for my goals.
"Every noble work is bound to face problems and obstacles. It is important to check your goal and motivation thoroughly. One should be very truthful, honest and reasonable. One's actions should be good for others, and for oneself as well. Once a positive goal is chosen, you should decide to pursue it all the way to the end. Even if it is not realized, at least there is no regret." - Dalai Lama
"Resist no temptation: a guilty conscience is more honorable than regret." - Anonymous

#2- I must have complete resolution.

I must choose to not allow difficulty and hard times to slow me down.
"The difficulties you meet will resolve themselves as you advance. Proceed and light will dawn, and shine with increasing clearness on your path." - Jim Rohn

"Determination gives you the resolve to keep going in spite of the roadblocks that lay before you." - Denis Waitley

I must in my mind determine that attitude is inward, and then choose a positive one.
"Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties." - Helen Keller

I must determine to work hard and run after my goals.
"A heart to resolve, a head to contrive and a hand to execute." - Edward Gibbon
"There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love; there's only scarcity of resolve to make it happen." - Wayne Dyer
"Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve." - Benjamin Franklin

I must be unstoppable.
"There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox
"You may be whatever you resolve to be." - Thomas Stonewall Jackson
"Let us resolve to be masters, not the victims, of our history, controlling our own destiny without giving way to blind suspicions and emotions." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"Resolve that whatever you do, you wil bring the whole man to it; that you will fling the whole weight of your being into it." - Orison Swett Marden

I must keep the promises I make to myself.
"Vow to be valiant;
Resolve to be radiant;
Determine to be dynamic;
Strive to be sincere;
Aspire to be attuned."- William Arthur Ward

And I cannot wait. It must be done today.

No comments: