Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Birds of the Air

No lie, this is a true story. (No Title story to be continued later)

Last night I arrived at my apartment and was climbing up my stairs (which are outside) with my laundry basket when suddenly I am startled by something on one of my steps. It was a wounded bird who obviously couldn’t fly away. I stood there for about 5 minutes having a showdown with the bird. The bird wasn’t even making noise, but I think he was trying to hiss at me. He kept opening his beak and closing it, and every time it closed his beak was making this clacking noise. So, the bird’s not moving, and I’m not moving, but I was worried it was gonna fly at me in a rage and peck my eyes out. (Good thing I had my glasses on.) So carefully I tried to raise my laundry basket and set up higher so I can scootch around the bird without scaring it anymore than it already is. I stepped up one step higher, and then after about 1-2 minutes, I stepped up one more. Then the frightened bird really freaked out and tried to flap its wings to fly away, but only succeeded in flapping off the steps and landing in a bush. My heart was beating so fast by the time I actually got inside my apartment. I was totally freaked out by this little bird who was TOTALLY freaked out by me. You would have thought I faced off with a masked man and a baseball bat.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Matthew 6:25-27

*Side note: No bird in sight this morning in the bush. He mu
st have made it to safety.

2 comments:

Rita said...

eeewww....yikes! i am such a girl and proud of it!

Anonymous said...

when we lived in irving a bird made a nest in a tree above our drive way and had baby birds and i was coming in from work one afternoon and that momma bird attacked me he came down and pecked me on the head. i think it got pat too. i was just walking in the house. auntie el