Sunday, December 29, 2013

Tied up with a Bow

Christmas 2013 is over.
The last few weeks involved lots of family, cleaning and surprises.

Pearl and I hosted our first Christmas family meal. As all of us were were casually adorned (I was in some new fancy jammies) we ate on my newest fine China (literally straight from China) and we drank sweet tea from the fanciest of goblets.

Then just as quickly, it was over. Family gone. Secrets over. Then I realize 2013 is quickly coming to a close.

Growing up, my parents had a hard and fast rule when it came to Christmas presents. You peek, you get nothing. You find, it all goes back. As a people pleaser, and an ambitious be-gooder, I believed them. We could never even pick up the presents and give a shake. To make matters worse, they would not even be labeled with our names. There was no way to know what present belonged with whom until Christmas morning and they were passed out.

For as long as I can remember, I have loved the anticipation, the looking forward-to, surprises. I love surprises. Even now, I'm usually one of the last to finish opening, as I love watching other people and seeing the surprise, and excitement on their faces.

This year was no different. It came too slowly and then sped away.

This year is going by too fast. Too quick. As excited as I am about tomorrow, I'm reluctant to leave today. I don't know about tomorrow. I don't know what is going to happen in 2014.  No idea. But, I think that while the Christmas trees are being packed away, there are quite a few surprises headed my way. Kinda exciting.


No comments: