Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Burdens, Bags, and a Pair of Shoes

When given a gift card to a store full of shiny shoes, what's a girl to do? Buy a bag, of course!*

I have always had this attraction to "bags," probably more so than a purse because it can contain so many types of treasures.
A book? Got it!
Lotion? Yup.
Perhaps deodorant, a camera 5 pens, and a checkbook? Check, check, check and check!

(My new bag)

I often say, "I never worry about being bored!" If I arrive early, well, I use that as an opportunity to manage my time wisely, and get something done! Read a chapter, throw on some mascara, or take a picture, whatever! I'm always prepared.

Lately, however, I've been carrying more than than useful items in my bag. I've been carrying something of another nature: burdens.

Those wearisome burdens. They tend to rob and take. Unlike my book which remains peacefully tucked away in my bag, when I carry a burden it wreaks havoc. Havoc that takes on different shapes. Sleeplessness perhaps. Headaches. Heavy shoulders. Aching muscles. Instead of taking the opportunity to show off my bag, I am too overwrought with concerns to show off anything else.

I am constantly reminded of my burden carrying ways. (Usually because it takes on some sort of wild ailment.) In those moments, I remember that those cumbersome burdens, do not technically belong to me. Instead of toting around thoughts such as, "How can I bring World Peace?" and, "Is time travel possible?" I could be reading my Kindle, or making a marble statue (that was a slight exaggeration).

The truth is Jesus meets us where we are, whether we are in a cubes at work, in our living rooms, or sitting in a church. For some reason, I forget that God is ready, willing and able to offer something in exchange for a trying encumbrance. Right in the Bible it states, "Come to me you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." It's not hard. It's actually much easier than carrying around the weight that I have been trying to shoulder. Life is hard at times. It is a struggle. However, life has the potential to be so much more. When I choose, (and it is just a choice) to say, "God, please help me. Please take the burdens from shoulders, please give me the peace only you can give," He answers. Does it make sense? No. But, neither does worrying about what will happen, or what if that happens, or how can I prevent it from happening......

Carry a bag? Yes. Always. Much to the chagrin of all males in the population (except when I have something they want, such as jumper cables or a mint), I will have my trusty bag of tricks wherever I go.

Carry a bothersome burden? Nah. I'll let Jesus take it from here.

Peace out, (or in- whichever way you wanna see it)
*Oh, and yes, I did purchase a pair of shoes!

1 comment:

Jenilee said...

great post! :) yes, Jeremy is always sticking his stuff in my bag! ugh! :)