Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Miss Vicky

On Sunday, a friend from the church I previously worked at passed away.
Tonight was her Memorial Service, and while it is sad to let someone go, it is also a celebration to know that she lived a long life, and that she is now whole and well.
Miss Vicky, I love you, and I'll see you again.
****
I loved Miss Vicky right away.

I believe that was in part because she brought so many children to church. And, I loved those kids.

I also loved her because of her imperfection. She was rough around the edges. She was a work in
progress. She was beautiful.

She said one time that her favorite song was He’s Still Working on Me, and when she said that I felt as though I saw immediately into her heart.

What she knew was that she was still a work in progress. And, while many of us get down,
and stay down, feeling defeated, and unworthy, she would get back up and go at it again.

I know that I was not privy to her everyday life, and all her struggles, but I saw her faith as she would raise her hands to God, and pray. What Vicky knew was that God was forgiving and accepting. She knew that she would fail, she would make a mistake, and she knew that God would look at her, and take her back, forgiving those imperfections.

I have hope in the same God that Vicky believed in.

She knew that she was offered a gift of forgiveness and she took that forgiveness and worked to share it with others. That is why she would bring so many children to church. That is why she would pray for her family and friends; and because she wanted to be a light to others that is why she hung tightly to the promise that God makes us new. He wipes our old selves away, and makes us new.

Her life was an ongoing testimony that to serve God, and to love God, we need not be perfect. We must be repentant. We must have faith and belief in Christ.

My prayer is that although this is a sad day, you will all find peace that only God gives knowing that she is now whole and well. And while I selfishly want to see her and hug her and kiss her one more time, I would not wish her back. She is with our Jesus.

Miss Vicky, your prayer is my prayer, and your song is my song.

“He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.
It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,
The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me.

There really ought to be a sign upon the heart,
Don't judge her yet, there's an unfinished part.
But I'll be perfect just according to His plan
Fashioned by the Master's loving hands.

In the mirror of His Word reflections that I see
Make me wonder why He never gave up on me.
He loves me as I am and helps me when I pray
Remember He's the Potter, I'm the clay.”

No comments: