Saturday, August 02, 2008

Not for the faint-hearted

So, consider yourself warmed. If you might be a little queasy, you might want to skip this first paragraph and the arm picture. Yesterday 24 hours after my Red Cross incident, I actually called Red Cross. My bruise had expanded to a bruise of 2-3 inches. It was turning hot, and quite frankly, it was becoming one ugly bruise. The Red Cross woman on the phone was calm and very helpful. She did, however, tell me, you need to go see doctor as soon as you can- "It's not serious, but you should go as soon as possible." I was initially calm, well kinda. Running through the office building to my car and pealing out of the garage probably wouldn't seem so calm, but that's the way I express myself- running franticly. So, I went to the doctor for my "Blood Donating Injury." Turns out, when I had tried to give blood, the Red Cross nurse had actually gone through a vein and an artery in my arm! No good I tell you, no good. Good news, there's no infection, but I am now on a antibiotic to ward off any bacteria!

*Note: I think Red Cross is a great organization. The people that work for the Red Cross are great!The lady who was helping me at the Blood Drive was a really sweet lady who does a great job- unfortunately my veins just don't always cooperate!

On the lighter side, a comment was made (before I left work to speed quickly, yet not dangerously to the doctor) that hopefully my arm wouldn't get so bad that I would end up losing it. That of course led to a day dreaming moment with myself in my car. I began thinking of a headline, "Girl Donates Blood, Loses Arm." And then I began thinking about all the plans I had with my arm- my right arm, and how I really couldn't bear to lose it. I began thinking, if I only had one day left with my arm what would I do, where would I go. I started thinking about the games I wanted to play, the songs on my piano I wanted to learn, the canoes that I wanted to paddle- all of which would be hard without a right arm. And I thought, well, why am I waiting until tomorrow to play a game, learn a song, paddle a canoe? Then I began thinking about life, and why there are so many things that I am waiting to do until tomorrow. So my car ride, in between calling people spreading my love (just in case - you know- something were to happen) I started reviewing the comparison between my arm and my life. There are a few things that I came up with:
1. I have plans for my arm.
God has plans for my life: Jeremiah 29:11
2. I like my arm attached to my body rooted into my shoulder!
I should be rooted in love: Ephesians 3:16-18
3. I can't wait until tomorrow to use my arm.
God never promised us tomorrow: James 4:13-15

These are not any fantastic or new discoveries, they were just things that struck me. I am always thinking of what I want to do, who I want to be, where I want to go and yet there are so many things that stop me. I'm scared and afraid. I can't do it, or won't be able to do it. What if they don't like me back. But then, there's this things inside of me that also says, don't wait. Do it today. Go for it now. Say it while you have the chance.

So I get to keep my arm for another day. And man, do I have plans...

No comments: