Wednesday, July 19, 2006

So the story goes...

The man was jealous in nature. He would see what he liked, and liked what he saw, and he would want it, and he would take it. He saw the land, the vineyard, it was near his home. He could close his eyes and just imagine the way the soil would feel sifting through his fingers. He could smell the vegetables growing up from the fertile soil.


Read story below:
1 Kings 21: 1-6
"Some time later there was an incident involving a vineyard belonging to Naboth the Jezreelite. The vineyard was in Jezreel, close to the palace of Ahab king of Samaria. Ahab said to Naboth, "Let me have your vineyard to use for a vegetable garden, since it is close to my palace. In exchange I will give you a better vineyard or, if you prefer, I will pay you whatever it is worth."
But Naboth replied, "The LORD forbid that I should give you the inheritance of my fathers."
So Ahab went home, sullen and angry because Naboth the Jezreelite had said, "I will not give you the inheritance of my fathers." He lay on his bed sulking and refused to eat.
His wife Jezebel came in and asked him, "Why are you so sullen? Why won't you eat?"
He answered her, "Because I said to Naboth the Jezreelite, 'Sell me your vineyard; or if you prefer, I will give you another vineyard in its place.' But he said, 'I will not give you my vineyard.' "


The story goes on, Queen Jezebel had Naboth killed (with the King's knowledge). The King then took possession of the vineyard. (For complete story see 1 Kings 21)
The part that amazes me is verse two where the King says, "In exchange I will give you a better vineyard or, if you prefer, I will pay you whatever it is worth."
The King did not even want the vineyard because it was the BEST vineyard. He wanted the vineyard, because he wanted it.
My name could be King Ahab. I have things, and people that surround me, and yet there are times when I look for more, and long for more. But those things that I often want, are not even the BEST.
Why do we choose that- choose second best when God is ready with something even better?
Psalm 81:16
"But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you."

No comments: