Monday, July 10, 2006

No Titled Continued...The full story below

It was a regular average every day day. It was neither hot nor cold, which is actually not average for a summer day. So I went to work, came home, checked mail and headed out for a walk. Also, not unusual. (Side note: I love the smell of cooking hamburgers and burning leaves) So I'm walking around the neighborhood, reading my book as I went, (And yes I realize that it's weird, but I like to mulitask), when all of a sudden I noticed a large hole that I had never noticed before. I walked to the side of the path and set my book down and peered into the hole. It was so deep I could not see the bottom. There was a large rope fastened to a tree that had been dropped into the hole. Not wanting to miss out on any adventure, I yelled down into the hole to see if anyone would respond. No one answered. So, I took a hold of the rope and began to inch my way down the long vertical tunnel. Within about five minutes I reached the bottom. I'm gonna guess it was only about 25 feet or so deep. Silly me, I had no flashlight, which I didn't even think about until I got to the bottom. Strange though, at the bottom it was remarkably light. I walked forward about five steps and found myself in a large cavern with sparkling rocks that looked like glitter covering the walls and ceiling. I was speechless. I stood with my mouth open for only a matter of minutes when I heard quiet footsteps approach me from behind. I felt the pressure of a hand on my shoulder. ...I stood that way for what seemed like forever. Silent and unmoving. It felt as though my heart stopped beating. After about five minutes the hand was removed off my shoulder and a voice spoke."Amazing sight, is it not?" I nodded, still too afraid to speak or to turn around.The voice spoke again. "Follow me."The man, who actually turned out to be one of the Apartment Security Guards, walked around me and started leading the way to another narrow tunnel. This tunnel was dark, but once again there was a light illuminating at the opposite end. Slowly my heart returned to its normal pace."What is this place?" I asked.But the guard did not answer. I raced after him as he started walking faster and faster (I have short legs- good thing I had my running shoes on). Then without a moments notice the floor below the guard gave way, and I turned to try to reach solid groung, but then I felt the sensation as though I was falling. I couldn't stop in time. I go over the edge and suddenly I'm suspended in slow-motion. Moments later I land as if I were a lint ball landing on the dryer. It's still. Quiet. I'm alone. And then this beam of lite so brite...I hear a shrill noise. I wake up to find that I've landed on my pillow that preceded me off my bed. But this is not my room. This is not my house. "And I muttered, "That's not my dog!!" I crouch into a ball & lean to one side as the vicious creature leaps towards me. Out of the corner of my eyes I see him latch onto the arm that is about to grab me. Quickly I jump up & spin around to see who it is but I stumble. I lift my head off the floor. Slowly, I open my eyes. My aunt is standing over me. "Oh, Auntie El, I had a dream." She then became a shadow and everything faded away.

I was groggy and everything was quiet. I'm not sure how far I had fallen or how long I had been unconscious. Every part of my body ached. Slowly, I moved and stretched my arms and legs until I was sure I was not broken and then I finally stood. I wobbily felt my way along the path. I was alone in what I assumed to be another tunnel. This time there was no light, but rather I was in total darkenss. The walls were damp and rough , and it smelled like musty dank water. My head was aching, but I still walked, feeling my way and occassionally stubbing my toe or banking my knee on a jagged rock. Then without warning I smacked into a metal object that was obstructing my path. With my hands I inspected the surface! It was a ladder. My heart started beating quickly out of relief and excitement. I took a hold of the bottom rung and began my ascent. After about 5 minutes of climbing I saw a glow in the form of a circle above my head. It was a man hole! Another shot of relief swept through my body. I climbed up a few more feet, and with one hand was able to push the man hole cover open. It was remarkably light. I climbed out of the man hole and looked around to see where I was. I noticed my book was laying right beside the cover. But, how was that possible? I had gone down a hole, and there had been a tree and a rope! I had walked underground for miles! And yet, here my book was, just as I had left it. I scanned my surroundings, there was no tree and no rope. I rushed quickly home to my apartment, and found that only 15 minutes had passed since I first set out on my walk. I have not spoken about the experience. I've gone back to that area multiple time. The man hole cover is now sealed shut. Strange, but the guard has never been seen since...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD JOB! SEE - YOU WRITE SOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN I DO. I HAVE NO IMAGINATION!!

Anonymous said...

your auntie el is still a shadowy fog or in a shadowy fog looking for that guard!!! where did he go????

Anonymous said...

Is he married? Is/was he cute?