Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Bag Lady

Tonight was my usual night at church. After a long day at work, I walk in and hang out with a group of kids who encountered a long day of sitting at school. And, yes, they are so ready to listen more. So, almost two hours later after Quest (Children's ministry) began, I am leaving for the night. And, as usual I have my bag, my laptop, my coat, and miscellaneous other items all strapped to my person in some way or another. (I don't believe in taking more than one trip.) the one thought on my mind was getting home and laying on my wonderful bed. Here I am trying to say my goodbyes and make it to my car with everything intact, when someone looks at me and says, "Ah, here's the heavy laden girl." I knew immediately that the man was referring to all my bags that I was carrying, but it made me stop right where I was at. Sure, I was carrying all those bags OUTSIDE, but what kind of "bags" do I carry INSIDE? All the worries, and troubles of the day, money concerns, job concerns, and let's not forget traffic...all those things I carry with me every day.
In Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
What a wonderful thought...taking all those burdens to Jesus and letting Him replace them with HIS light burden. What a thought- trading worry for peace, concern for joy....
Now I am at home, sitting in my chair thinking as I am typing....and maybe, just maybe, it's time for the "bag" lady to take a load off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happens when you are so buried under the bags that you cant get out from under them? When reaching up from the bottom just quite dont reach. When hopes and dreams are just a part of yesterday and no longer count for today cause you just cant see it ever being more than that. And you have been so disappointed in the past that when you start to dream it only causes you to remember why it will never happen? How do you let go of the baggage???

Rita said...

this is very interesting. what we often try to hide are the bags we carry because we do not want people to really see who we are. we just say we are "fine" when we truly may not be so.